The foundation of any property is just as important as the roof. Over time, the roof will deteriorate and require partial or extensive repair work. Whether your roof is made of slate, terracotta tile, wooden shingles or concrete, here are some roof repair mistakes to avoid.
- Not replacing old shingles. Many homeowners try to take the easy way out and cover old shingles instead of replacing them completely. This practice results in a buildup of dust and moisture which can cause the roof to deteriorate even faster. If you plan to use a roofing contractor, try this company out and be sure to speak to them about this critical step in the process before the work begins.
- Poor nail placement. The length of the nail is just as important as the placement of the nail when doing roof repair. Poor placement of nails can result in structural issues in the future. To prevent the heads of the nails from corroding quickly, avoid leaving them exposed to the elements.
- Poor ventilation. Moisture buildup as a result of improper ventilation can result in grave issues with your roof. When doing roof repair or roof replacement, it is important to ensure that the roof is both properly vented and structurally sound. In addition, proper venting will allow you prevent the buildup of excess heat.
- Incorrect shingle installation. The shingles should be installed in such a manner that they lay flat. If this is not done properly, you could develop severe issues with leaking later on.
- Improper assessment of leak source. If you notice a leak in your roof, one of the first things you will need to do is to ascertain the source of the leak. One mistake that is quite common is assuming that the leak source is the area immediately above the leak. This unfortunately is not always the case. To ensure that the correct source is identified, do no limit your search to only the area above the leak.
- Not protecting clay tiles. Clay tiles are very delicate. A common mistake when attempting to repair a clay tile roof is not offering enough protection for the tiles. Before placing your ladder against the roof, use some sort of cushioning between the ladder and the roof. This will help to protect the tiles on the edge of the roof from chipping or breaking.
Take a look at the gallery below of roof repair work in progress as well as completed projects. If you have a roof that was recently repaired, we would love to hear about your choice of roof and see some before and after images.